Sunday, August 19, 2007

Return of the Vanity Scam

It seems the American Biographical Institute just won't give up.

They failed to entice me by selecting me as a "Great Mind of the 21st Century", so now they've upped the ante.

Now they're nominating me as "Man of the Year".

For only $195 (or $295 if I want it laminated on "Finland Birch Wood"), I can get a decree calling me "Man of the Year 2007", "based on his outstanding accomplishments to date and the noble example he has set for his peers and entire community."



Really, I wonder how vain you would have to be to fall for this transparent scam.

Oh. About this vain. Or this vain. Or this vain...

3 comments:

Harriet said...

It is a scam? =:-O

(just kidding!)

Of course, it would be cheaper to churn out tons of low quality articles and find either non-peer reviewed journals or poorly reviewed journals to publish them, and then brag about having 100's of publications. :-)

Anonymous said...

What is really funny is how many google hits you can get with this (over 10k if you play around with spelling; maybe that should be your next google search project, per your thread on that issue). You obviously did a few of these in your examples of course but wow, PT Barnum was correct - in spades.

Meh, maybe I am just jealous; I got the Greatest Minds invite but no Man of the Year yet.. :)

Anonymous said...

Denyse O'Leary and Dr. Mario Beauregard have a new book out, "The Spritual Brain." According to Canadian Cynic,

"THE MOST CREDIBILITY MONEY CAN BUY. Apparently, Denyse's co-author is a man of some importance:

Dr. Beauregard was selected by the World Media Net to be one of the "One Hundred Pioneers of the Twenty-First Century."
"